Mischenko A.V., Mischenko V.A., Fomina S.N., Chernykh O.Yu.
Summary. Foot-and-mouth disease is one of the economically significant transboundary animal infections. Analysis of OIE materials and media reports indicate that the epizootic situation of foot and mouth disease in Asian countries adjacent to the Russian Federation over the past ten years has remained tense, which poses a constant threat of virus drift into Russia. To identify the causes of the disease of young FMD, the authors analyzed the data from studies of blood sera of young cattle (aged 5-18 months) from the buffer zone for the presence of vaccine-resistant FMD antibodies. The results of epizootological surveys conducted in 2004-2018 in the foci of foot-and-mouth disease that occurred in vaccinated large horned cattle indicate that most often the first foci of disease were recorded in young animals up to 17 months of age. FMD vaccination in the Russian Federation is carried out in a protective zone (zone of prophylactic vaccination). The level of population immunity (proportion of animals with a specific level of antibodies) is assessed during monitoring of the vaccine efficiency and the vaccination program in the population of immunized animals is determined. The definition of population immunity, aimed at providing protection through vaccination, is the basis of post-vaccination monitoring, since it is a key indicator of how well vaccination has been done and whether it is possible to protect animals from infection. Analysis was conducted on data from studies of blood sera collected in 2004-2018 from vaccinated against foot-and-mouth disease in young cattle to find out the causes of the disease. FMD antibodies were detected in 54-64% of the sera samples taken 25-89 days after vaccination. The findings suggest that it is necessary to revise the vaccination scheme for foot-and-mouth disease of young large horned cattle and to take this group of animals into account when conducting serum monitoring studies for the presence of vaccine-free antibodies.
Keywords: foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), large horned cattle, young animals, FMD vaccination, blood serum, FMD buffer zone, colostral antibodies, placenta, prevalence of FMD antibodies, population immunity.
- Vaktsina protiv yashchura (zhvachnykh) (inaktivirovannaya) [Vaccine against foot-and-mouth disease (ruminants) (inactivated)]. - Evropeyskaya farmakopeya. - 2011 (7). - pp. 1339-1341.
- Kodeks zdorovya nazemnykh zhivotnykh MEB [OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Code]. - 2016: 497-520.
- Mishchenko V.A., Nikeshina T.B., Lisitsyn V.V. et al. Kolostralnyy immunitet novorozhdennykh telyat [Colostral immunity of newborn calves]. - Veterinarnaya meditsina. - Kharkiv, 2006 (86). - pp. 236-240.
- Nersesyan S.Ye., Sarkisyan R.A., Gabriyelyan M.A. et al. Kolostralnyy immunitet i aktivnaya immunizatsiya molodnyaka krupnogo rogatogo skota protiv yashchura [Colostral immunity and active immunization of young cattle against foot-and-mouth disease]. - Vladimir, 1997: 63.
- Kremenchuskaya S.R., Lugovskaya N.N., Fomina S.N. Otsenka effektivnosti protivoyashchurnoy vaktsinatsii zhivotnykh v bufernoy zone Rossiyskoy Federatsii v 2014 godu [Evaluation of efficiency of FMD vaccination of animals in buffer zone of the Russian Federation in 2014]. - VNIIZZH. - Vladimir, 2015.
- Dudnikov A.I., Zakharov V.M., Dudnikov S.A. et al. O strategii likvidatsii yashchura [On strategy of eliminating of foot-and-mouth disease]. - Veterinarnaya meditsina. - Kharkiv, 2005 (85 (1)). - pp. 399-404.
- Lisitsyn V.V., Mishchenko A.V., Kononov A.V. et al. Problema kolostralnogo immuniteta u novorozhdennykh telyat [Problem of colostral immunity in newborn calves]. - Veterinarnaya patologiya. - Moscow, 2006 (4). - pp. 161-165.
- Mishchenko A.V., Fomina S.N., Krivonos R.A. et al. Problema kolostralnogo protivoyashchurnogo immuniteta u novorozhdennykh telyat [Problem of foot-and-mouth colostral immunity in newborn calves]. - Veterinaria Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2014 (6). - pp. 10-12.
- Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Dzhailidi G.A. et al. Polevaya effektivnost protivoyashchurnykh vaktsin [FMD vaccine efficacy]. - Veterinaria Kubani. -Krasnodar, 2013 (4). - pp. 3-5.
- Gabrichidze M.I., Machivariani G.V., Bakhutashvili O.I. et al. Rezultaty vliyaniya srokov privivki stelnykh korov protivoyashchurnymi vaktsinami na kolostralnyy immunitet telyat [Results of vaccination timing of pregnant cows with FMD vaccines on colostral immunity of calves]. - Vladimir, 1990: 67-68.
- Borisov V.V., Rakhmanov A.M., Belik E.V. et al. Rezultaty monitoringovykh issledovaniy po yashchuru v Rossii v 2008 godu [Results of monitoring studies on foot-and-mouth disease in Russia in 2008]. - Trudy VNIIZZH. - Vladimir, 2009 (7). - pp. 3-13.
- Rakhmanov A.M., Kremenchugskaya S.R., Mishchenko A.V. et al. Rezultaty monitoringovykh issledovaniy po yashchuru v Rossii v 2011 godu [Results of monitoring studies on foot-and-mouth disease in Russia in 2011]. - Trudy VNIIZZH. - Vladimir, 2012 (10). - pp. 7-17.
- Kremenchugskaya S.R., Kamalova N.Ye., Mishchenko A.V. et al. Rezultaty izucheniya izolyatov virusa yashchura tipa O, vyzvavshikh vspyshki v Zabaykalskom krae v 2010-2011 godakh [Results of study of FMD virus type O isolates which caused outbreaks in the Trans-Baikal region in 2010-2011]. - 2015: 34-38.
- Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Varkentin A.V. et al. Retrospektivnyy analiz epizooticheskoy situatsii po yashchuru v Irane [Retrospective analysis of foot-and-mouth disease epidemic situation in Iran]. - Veterinaria Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2015 (2). - pp. 5-8.
- Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Drygin V.V. et al. Epizootologicheskie osobennosti yashchura tipa A, vyzvannogo geterologichnymi shtammami virusa [Epizootological features of FMD type A, caused by heterologous virus strains]. - Veterinariya. - Moscow, 2014 (11). - pp. 20-24.
- Burdov A.N., Dudnikov A.I., Malyarets P.V. et al. Yashchur [Foot-and-mouth disease]. - Agropromizdat. - Moscow, 1990. - 320 p.
- 17-22. Vide supra.
А. В. Мищенко, к.в.н., заместитель директора, Департамент ветеринарии МСХ РФ,
Mishchenko Aleksey V., Ph.D. in Veterinary Medicine, Deputy Director for Research and Monitoring of the Federal Centre of Animal Health; mcrd. Yurjevets, Vladimir, Russia, 600901; phone: 8-4922-261765; e-mail: email@example.com.
Mishchenko Vladimir A., D.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, professor, chief expert for bovine diseases of the Federal Centre of Animal Health; mcrd. Yurjevets, Vladimir, Russia, 600901; phone: 8-4922-260614; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fomina Svetlana N., Ph. D. in Veterinary Medicine, FMD diagnostics referential laboratory manager of the Federal Centre of Animal Health; mcrd. Yurjevets, Vladimir, Russia, 600901; phone: 8-4922-260614; e-mail: email@example.com.
Responsible for correspondence with the editorial board: Chernykh Oleg Yu., D.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, director of the Kropotkin territorial veterinary laboratory; 303, Krasnoarmeyskaya st., Kropotkin, 352380; phone: 8-86138-62314; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.