Chernykh O.Yu., Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Krivonos R.A., Lysenko A.A., Skorikov A.V.
Summary. A large number of breeding heifers and bull-producers of meat breeds were brought to the Russian Federation from different countries of the world. Breeding heifers were imported to individual farms. Extensive and semi-intensive systems of large horned cattle keeping are used more often in the Russian Federation. The extensive system provides for free movement of animals and selection of pasture areas and access to watering and shelter areas. Large number of beef cattle have been imported to the Russian Federation from around the world in recent years. Timely epizootic and clinical diagnostics play a primary role in the system of measures for the control and prevention of foot-and-mouth disease. The existing system of measures for the control and prevention of foot-and-mouth disease in the Russian Federation provides for the prevention of the introduction of the virus, systematic vaccination of ruminants and revaccination of young animals and control of the level of post-vaccination antibodies. The risk of introduction of pathogens in extensive system for beef cattle is significantly higher than in intensive system. The highest risk of introduction of infectious agents exist with wild and domestic cloven-hoofed animals. Contaminated air, water and pastures can be pathway for the introduction of infectious agents into beef herds. According to the OIE Code beef-breed large horned cattle must be subject to daily inspection. All personnel working with beef-breed large horned cattle should have professional training in accordance with their job responsibilities and understand the technology of housing and behavior of animals, as well as biosecurity measures and general symptoms of diseases and signs of deterioration of the physiological state. The main features of large horned cattle breeding, distinguishing it from other areas of productivity, are early maturity and high quality meat. It is believed that professional training in these matters is acquired through specialized training and practical experience in working with beef cattle. Knowing the etiology of diseases and their syndromes is important in identifying potential animal welfare issues.
Keywords: large horned cattle, beef breeds, foot-and-mouth disease, virus, prevalence, antibodies, prevention, pastures, extensive and semi-intensive maintenance, vaccine field efficacy.
- Blagopoluchiye zhivotnykh v sistemakh proizvodstva myasnogo krupnogo rogatogo skota [Animal welfare in beef cattle production systems]. - OIE. - 2019 (T. 1). - pp. 416-426.
- Burdov A.N., Dudnikov A.I., Malyarets P.V. Yashchur [Foot-and-mouth disease]. - Moscow, 1990. - 320 p.
- Drobin Yu.D., Shevchenko L.V., Krivonos R.A., Kaloshkina I.M., Chernykh O.Yu., Shevchenko A.A. Epizooticheskaya situatsiya po invazionnym zabolevaniyam v regione Severnogo Kavkaza [Epizootic situation on invasive diseases in the North Caucasus region]. - Veterinaria Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2019 (2). - pp. 3-5.
- Dudnikov A.I., Zakharov V.M., Dudnikov S.A. O strategii likvidatsii yashchura [On strategy of eradication of foot-and-mouth disease]. - Veterinarnaya meditsina. - Kharkiv, 2005 (1). - pp. 399-404.
- Infektsionnaya patologiya zhivotnykh [Infectious pathology of animals]. Moscow, 2014. - 264 p.
- Mishchenko V.A., Mishchenko A.V., Dumova V.V. Analiz prichin vybytiya krupnogo rogatogo skota myasnykh porod [Analysis of disposal causes of meat breed large horned cattle]. - Veterinariya Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2014 (3). - pp. 19-22.
- Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Dzhailidi G.A. Oshibki pri klinicheskoy diagnostike yashchure u krupnogo rogatogo skota [Clinical diagnostics' errors at foot-and-mouth disease in large horned cattle] - Veterinaria Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2014 (1). - pp. 22-23.
- Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Shevkoplyas V.N. Problema biobezopasnosti stad krupnogo rogatogo skota myasnykh porod [Problem of biosafety of herds of cattle of beef breeds]. - Veterinaria Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2016 (1). - pp. 4-7.
- Mishchenko V.A., Mishchenko A.V., Gladilin G.V. Metabolicheskiy immunodefitsit u vysokoproduktivnogo krupnogo rogatogo skota [Metabolic immunodeficiency in highly productive large horned cattle]. - Kursk, 2019. - pp. 614-618.
- Mishchenko A.V., Semakina V.P., Mishchenko V.A. Passivnyy kontrol yashchura kak element epizooticheskogo blagopoluchiya [Passive control of foot-and-mouth disease as an element of epizootic well-being]. - Svetlogorsk, 2019.
- Petrov Yu.F., Gudkova A.Yu., Eremeeva O.R. Vliyanie zarazhennosti materey gelmintami na immunnoe sostoyanie novorozhdennykh telyat [Influence of mothers' infestation with helminths on immune state of newborn calves]. -Veterinarnaya patologiya. - Roston-on-Don, 2003 (2). - pp. 47-48.
- Rakhmanov A.M., Glushko B.A., Diev V.I. et al. Opredelenie stepeni zashchity krupnogo rogatogo skota ot zarazheniya virusom yashchura v zavisimosti ot urovnya postvaktsinalnykh antitel [Degree determination of protection of large horned cattle against infection with the FMD virus depending on level of postvaccination antibodies]. - Vladimir, 2005. - pp. 144-150.
- Revyakina E.L., Mekhradze L.T., Miroshnikov S.A. Rekomendatsii po razvedeniyu krupnogo rogatogo skota myasnykh porod [Recommendations for beef large horned cattle breeding]. - 2011. - 148 p.
- Kharatyan S. Vtorzhenie novogo shtamma virusa yashchura na territoriyu Armenii [Invasion of a new strain of foot and mouth disease on the territory of Armenia]. - 2016.
- Chernykh O.Yu., Mishchenko A.V., Mishchenko V.A., Krivonos R.A., Drobin Yu.D., Lysenko A.A. Problema kontaminatsii protivovirusnykh vaktsin v mire i v Rossii [Problem of antiviral vaccines' contamination in the world and in Russia]. - Veterinariya Kubani. - Krasnodar, 2019 (3). - pp. 3-6.
- Yakubovskiy M.V. Immunitet pri gelmintozakh zhivotnykh [Immunity at animal helminthiasis]. - Izvestiya Akademii nauk Respubliki Belarus. - Minsk, 1997 (4). - pp. 74-77.
- Yashchur [Foot-and-mouth disease]. - OIE. - 2017 (2 (8.8)). - pp. 497521.
- -25. Vide supra.
Mishchenko Aleksey V., Ph.D. in Veterinary Medicine, senior scientific researcher of the information analysis center of the Federal Centre of Animal Health; mcrd. Yurjevets, Vladimir, Russia, 600901; phone: 8-4922-261551; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mishchenko Vladimir A., D.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, professor, chief scientific researcher of the Laboratory of the prevention of diseases of pigs and horned cattle of the Federal Centre of Animal Health; mcrd. Yurjevets, Vladimir, Russia, 600901; phone: 8-4922-261551; e-mail: email@example.com.
Krivonos Roman A., Ph.D. in Veterinary Medicine, head of the Veterinary Department of Krasnodar region; 36, Rashpilevskaya st., Krasnodar, 350000; phone: 8-861-2622869; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lysenko Aleksandr A., D.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, professor, professor of the department of therapy and pharmacology of the Kuban State Agrarian University named after I.T. Trubilin; 7, 29, Rozhdestvenskaya emb., Krasnodar, 350089; phone: 8-961-5075415; e-mail: email@example.com.
Skorikov Aleksandr V., Ph.D. in Biology, Vice Director for Scientific Work of the Krasnodar Veterinary Scientific Research Institute - separate structural unit of the Krasnodar Scientific Center for Zootechnology and Veterinary Medicine; 1, 1 Liniya st., Krasnodar, 350004; phone: 8-861-2216220; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsible for correspondence with the editorial board: Chernykh Oleg Yu., D.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, director of the Kropotkin regional veterinary laboratory; 303, Krasnoarmeyskaya st., Kropotkin, 352380; phone: 8-918-4956659; e-mail: email@example.com.