Summary. The article reflects observations on calves with different ways of keeping. Two groups of newborn calves were selected at the dairy complex (n=33). The calves of the control group were raised indoors in the traditional way in individual cages, and the experimental group was outdoors in the houses. The experiment was conducted from March to June. For the first 10 days, all calves were measured body temperature, pulse, respiration, blood samples for 1, 5, 10, 20 and 30 days of life were studied, incidence was taken into account. The heart rate in both groups gradually decreased by day 10. In the experimental group, this decrease was less pronounced and on average over the observation period, the pulse rate was 128 or 8 beats higher than in the control. The respiratory rate in calves of both groups had a general tendency to decrease. In experimental calves, this indicator was more constant than in controls. In calves of the experimental group, the average daily gain was 69.0 g higher, and the incidence was 14.9% lower compared to the calves of the control group. Authors established activation of metabolism, increase in natural resistance, weight gain and decrease in the incidence of disease in calves bred in the open air in individual houses.
Key words: young cattle, newborn calves, keeping method, «cold» method of rearing, gastrointestinal diseases of calves, body resistance, metabolism, weight gain, study of blood samples, blood serum.
1. Bortnikov A.M. Vliyanie usloviy soderzhaniya na organizm plemennykh bychkov raznykh genotipov [Influence of conditions on organism of breeding bulls of different genotypes]. - Veterinariya. - Moscow, 1997 (6). - pp. 50-52.
2. Volkov G.K., Bolshakov V.I., Panina O.P. Opyt vyrashchivaniya telyat v individualnykh profilaktoriyakh [Experience of growing calves in individual dispensaries]. - 1987: 5-9.
3. Volkov G.K. Tekhnologicheskie osobennosti polucheniya i vyrashchivaniya zdorovogo molodnyaka [Technological features of obtaining and growing healthy young animals]. - Veterinariya. - Moscow, 2000 (1). - pp. 3-7.
4. Donnik I.M., Shilova E.N. Ekonomicheskaya tselesoobraznost primeneniya «kholodnogo» metoda vyrashchivaniya telyat v sisteme profilaktiki ORVI krupnogo rogatogo skota [Economic feasibility of use of calves' cold method growing in the system of prevention of acute respiratory viral infections in large horned cattle]. - Agrarian Bulletin of the Urals. - Yekaterinburg, 2011 (5 (84)). - pp. 120-121.
5. Korotenko A.P., Kuzmenko V.G., Chugunov Yu.P. et al. Vyrashchivaniye telyat v individualnykh domikakh na otkrytykh ploshchadkakh [Calves' growing in individual houses on open areas]. - Veterinariya. - Moscow, 1988 (11). - pp. 30-32.
6. Lorets O.G., Gorelik O.V., Belyaeva N.V. Osobennosti rosta i vyrashchivaniya telok pri kholodnom metode vyrashchivaniya [Features of growth and cultivation of heifers at cold method of rearing]. - Agrarian Bulletin of the Urals. -Yekaterinburg, 2017 (6 (160)). - pp. 9-16.
7. Plyashchenko S.I., Sidorov V.T. Estestvennaya rezistentnost organizma zhivotnykh [Natural resistance of animal organism]. - Kolos. - Moscow, 1979. - p. 84.
8. Salakhutdinov N.T. Vyrashchivaniye telyat v individualnykh domikakh na otkrytykh ploshchadkakh [Calves' growing in individual houses on open areas]. - Veterinariya. - Moscow, 1996 (1). - pp. 13-15.
Author affiliation: Makarova Vera N., Ph.D. in Veterinary Medicine, senior scientific researcher of the Vologda branch of the Federal scientific center - All-Russian Research Institute of experimental veterinary medicine named after K.I. Scryabin and Ya.R. Kovalenko of the Russian Academy of Sciences; 10, Chekhova st., Vologda, 160009; phone: 8-921-8285607; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org - responsible for correspondence with the editorial board.